1. I wish to thank Steven M. Sanders for suggesting the comparison of Secret Agent to The Third Man and Ministry of Fear.
2. Transcribed at Matthew Courtman, "In the Beginning," The Danger Man Website, September 21, 2003, http://www.mcgoohan.co.uk/.
3. Quoted in Anne T. Salavatore, Greene and Kierkegaard: The Discourse of Belief (Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1988), 4.
4. For instance, in Thunderball (Terence Young, 1965) Bond shoots a man with a spear gun and says, "He got the point," and in Goldfinger (Guy Hamilton, 1964) Bond electrocutes a man in a bathtub and declares, "Shocking!"
5. For further discussion of The Prisoner, see the essay by Shai Biderman and William Devlin "The Prisoner and Self-Imprisonment," in this volume 229-46.
6. Norman Sherry, The Life of Graham Greene, Vol. 2: 1939-1955 (New York: Penguin), 146.
7. Graham Greene, The Ministry of Fear (New York: Viking, 1945), 234-35.
9. Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan (1651; New York: Touchstone, 1997), 98.
Was this article helpful?